Give then plethora of people who where nudged to purchase their very first firearm by the COVID-19 pandemic, it seems like a post about gun safety would benefit a lot of them. While I was in the process authoring such a post, I noticed that a lot of well established and likely better qualified people are doing the same thing. As a result, I’m just going to link to their content here rather that me regurgitating very similar information.
Before I do that, here are what I consider to be the basic principles of gun safety:
- Treat every firearm like it is loaded
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
- Only place your finger on the trigger when you are ready to shoot
- Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it
And with that said, here are some resources covering the topic:
The NRA also has a nice little new shooters guide in PDF format. I’ve also saved a copy that you can download below.
Additionally, I’ve written a few posts in the past covering different parts of this topic. These posts have been tagged with a “Gun Safety” tag. Here are a few to look at:
- Mindfully Introducing a Youngster to Guns
- Responsibly Carrying a Concealed Firearm
- How I Taught My Kids About Guns
I’m happy to see the population of gun owners grow regardless of the reason or circumstance. I welcome all of them. I encourage all of them to learn the safe gun handling as it is a responsibility that comes with ownership.
As always, I encourage everyone to contact me with any questions. I promise to do my best to answer them.